Protecting the Elderly Through Nursing Home Abuse & Negligence Litigation
Determined Houston attorney seeks compensation for harm
For 30 years, Cire Law Firm has represented seriously injured parties. But no cases stir our passion for justice more than those involving the mistreatment of vulnerable seniors by the very persons entrusted to give them compassionate care. If your loved one has been a victim of nursing home abuse or neglect, we are ready to provide the capable representation you need to prevent further harm and to gain compensation for past injuries.
Common violations of Texas nursing home standards that lead to injury
The State of Texas is committed to protecting seniors from elder abuse in all its forms. The Office of the Attorney General advises consumers who are selecting a nursing home to examine the facility’s records for violations that may indicate issues related to the physical, verbal, sexual and mental abuse of residents, as well as neglect that could cause preventable harm. Common violations include:
- Involuntary seclusion
- Misappropriation of resident property
- Failure to maintain a sanitary, comfortable, orderly environment
- Failure to develop an individual, comprehensive care plan
- Allowing a resident’s daily living abilities in activities to deteriorate
- Failure to provide assistance in maintaining nutrition, hygiene and grooming
- Failure to prevent or treat pressure sores
- Unnecessary use of catheters for urinary incontinence
- Failure to engage residence in active or passive exercise
- Allowing residents to become angry, depressed or withdrawn
- Unnecessary use of nasogastric tubes for feeding
- Poor nasogastric care resulting in ulcers, pneumonia or dehydration
- Negligence in preventing accidents and minimizing accident hazards
- Failure to provide an adequate diet and hydration
- Failure to meet a resident’s special medical needs for injections, colostomy, prostheses, foot care, etc.
- Dispensing unnecessary drugs
- Subjecting residents to significant medication errors
- Insufficient staffing
- Failure to control infections and halt the spread of disease
If you have noticed any of these issues relative to your loved one’s care, you should seek the advice of an experienced attorney who can help determine the available legal remedies, which may include a civil lawsuit.
Who is liable in cases of nursing home abuse and neglect?
Nursing facilities can sometimes escape liability when they deal swiftly and decisively with negligent or abusive employees. However, in most cases, the legal theory of respondeat superior holds the employer accountable for the misdeeds of its employees. This is especially true when a personal injury can be traced back to:
When a senior fails to thrive in a nursing home environment, the cause of decline is often the inevitable toll of age and illness. However, at Cire Law Firm, we believe in being vigilant on behalf of nursing home residents, because it is the advocate’s role to protect their rights and, in doing so, give them the best chance for continued health.
Contact a determined lawyer to address nursing home neglect in the Houston area
If you have a loved one who has suffered preventable harm in a nursing home facility, come to Cire Law Firm for assistance. We accept nursing home injury cases on a contingency basis, so you pay no upfront fees. To schedule a free initial consultation to discuss your loved one’s circumstances, call 713.532.6206 or contact our Houston office online.