La Porte Personal Injury Attorney Serving the Greater Houston Area
The city of La Porte, Texas, occupies the area where the Battle of San Jacinto was fought in 1836, establishing the Republic of Texas. Initially a tourist attraction, drawing visitors to Galveston Bay, the city embraced industry and shipping when tourism waned. La Porte is home to the Barbours Cut Terminal, one of the premier container handling facilities in the Gulf of Mexico, and is now also served by the Bayport Terminal, just south of the city. Both are major port facilities serving the Houston area, so it’s no surprise that many residents of La Porte work in the offshore oil industry.
While that industry has brought jobs to area residents, those jobs are not without risk: offshore oil workers are often involved in serious accidents causing major injuries. When these accidents happen, workers may be able to seek compensation under the Jones Act.
At Cire Law Firm, our legal team represents offshore oil workers, helping to obtain compensation for those who play a role in our country’s oil production. The Jones Act allows workers to recover compensation from negligent employers for injuries caused by:
- If you have slipped, tripped or fallen on a platform or vessel’s deck, gangway or stairwell, you may have a claim for compensation under the Jones Act.
- Oil rigs are dangerous job sites largely because of the risk of fire or explosion. If you are burnt on an oil rig, you may have rights under the law.
- Poor training. If an employer does not properly train you or your coworkers and that lack of training contributes to an accident, your employer may be liable for your injuries.
- Inadequate equipment. A failure to provide suitable equipment, or the provision of improperly maintained equipment, is often considered a form of negligence under maritime law.
Oil rig accidents are not the only risks facing La Porte workers. Residents also suffer injuries in traffic accidents, through medical malpractice, and due to the negligence of property owners. For 30 years, Cire Law Firm has represented the interests of people who have suffered accident injuries in the La Porte area.
Those who qualify as Jones Act seamen may be eligible for compensation such as:
- This is in the form of a stipend for daily living expenses during the time you are unable to work.
- You may be compensated for the cost of any medical treatment that will improve your condition. Once maximum cure is reached, your employer may not be responsible for continued expenses.
- Pain and suffering. These damages are awarded to compensate you for mental and physical anguish as well as the loss of enjoyment of life.
- In cases where an employer doesn’t make required payments, a court may award you interest.
Regardless of how you suffered an injury, our firm works to get you the maximum compensation available under the law.
Contact a skilled Texas oil rig injury attorney for help getting justice in La Porte
Whether you have been injured offshore or in any other type of accident, Cire Law Firm in Houston works to get you justice and compensation. If you have been hurt in La Porte or a nearby area, call us anytime at 713.532.6206 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.